Toronto and Montreal have become “rich hunting grounds for organized auto theft crime rings,” according to Équité Association, which has also determined that the Honda CR-V is the most stolen vehicle in Canada.
“Not only does auto theft cost Canadians millions of dollars each year, the proceeds of this illegal activity also fund organized crime and terrorism, both domestically and internationally,” a statement from Bryan Gast, vice president of investigative services for Équité Association reads.
The top 10 stolen vehicles in Canada are:
- Honda CR-V (model generation 2016-2021), 4,117 thefts
- Lexus RX Series (model generation 2016-2021), 2,202 thefts
- Ford F150 Series (model generation 2015-2020), 1,182 thefts
- Honda Civic (model generation 2016-2021), 768 thefts
- Toyota Highlander (model generation 2013-2019), 748 thefts
- Ram 1500 Series (model generation 2011-2018), 509 thefts
- Chevrolet/GMC Silverado/Sierra 1500 (model generation 1999-2006), 410 thefts
- Honda Accord (model generation 2018-2021), 372 thefts
- Jeep Grand Cherokee (model generation 2011-2020), 346 thefts
- Toyota RAV4 (model generation 2013-2018), 334 thefts
Équité’s, a company that investigates crime and insurance fraud, also highlights that Montreal is a principal port of exit for stolen vehicles.
“Thieves continue to exploit technology through relay attacks and connecting to the on-board diagnostic port, which enables them to reprogram key fobs; and organized crime networks are stealing vehicles in greater volume for export internationally,” the release from Équité reads.
Looking at regional data, the most stolen vehicle in Ontario is the Lexus RX Series with 2,083 thefts, followed by the Honda CR-V with 1,150 thefts.
In Alberta, the Ford F350 Series is the most stolen vehicle with 220 thefts, followed by the RAM 1500 Series with 165 thefts last year.
Moving east to Atlantic Canada, the RAM 1500 Series is the most stolen vehicle in that region of Canada, with 39 thefts, followed by the Chevrolet/GMC Silverado/Sierra 1500 Series with 29 thefts in 2021.
In Quebec, the Honda CR-V is the most stolen car in that province, with 2,917 thefts, followed by the Ford F150 Series with 391 thefts last year.
Yahoo News Canada